Kansas City, MO 64110
Position Announcement: Stacks Assistant
Linda Hall Library, the nation’s largest privately-funded research library devoted to the support of science, engineering, and technology, is taking applications for a Stacks Assistant. The Stacks Assistant is responsible for maintaining the order and appearance of library collections. Primary duties include accurately shelving library materials, ensuring that stacks and study areas are neat and orderly, locating materials, and collecting and compiling statistics to represent stacks activities.
• Performing a variety of stacks maintenance tasks, including providing information and data on space needs, grooming the collection and correcting problems, noting problems with damage or deterioration, noting need for bookends and pamphlet boxes, and shelf-reading for accuracy of shelving order.
• Providing training and support to Page staff.
• Assisting with projects.
• Additional duties include sorting daily mail clearing, bindery pulls etc. as assigned.
• High school diploma or degree equivalent. Collegiate or relevant work experience desired.
• Advanced PC skills desired.
• Previous experience in a library setting or similar work environment.
• Familiarity with Library of Congress classifications, knowledge of online library catalogs, and familiarity with at least one foreign language are desirable.
• Demonstrated interest in learning library procedures, equipment skills, and reference techniques.
• Dependable, highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to complete assigned tasks with
• Ability to provide excellent customer service.
• Ability to function effectively in a team environment, flexibility and the capacity to embrace change in a dynamic and evolving organization.
• Facility for cross-departmental communications and cooperation.