Library Research Specialist
Kansas City, MO 64110
Position Announcement: Research Specialist
Linda Hall Library, the nation’s largest privately-funded research library devoted to science, engineering, and technology, is taking applications for a Research Specialist. Reporting to the Public Services Manager, the Research Specialist is responsible for the provision of specialized, in-depth, and/or mediated reference service for patrons needing advanced assistance in the use of the Library and its collections. Critical skills include flexibility and the capacity to embrace change in a dynamic and evolving organization and a facility for cross-departmental communications and cooperation.
• Provide in-depth research and reference service for patrons needing advanced assistance in the use of the Library and its collections.
• Generate research tools and finding aids to assist patrons in discovery of collection content.
• Provide on-site guidance for the Reference Assistants.
• Offer library orientation and instruction, including Library tours, for classes and other patron groups, as needed.
• Participate in collection development, circulation processes, and resolution of difficult document delivery citations, as needed.
• Other duties as required
• MLS from an accredited library and information science program.
• Three to five years experience in a research library or similar setting.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, familiarity with Library of Congress classifications; knowledge of ExLibris library automation software; experience working with electronic databases.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to function effectively in a team environment.
• Background in science and engineering and familiarity with at least one foreign language are desirable.