Lee's Summit Housing Authority
Lee’s Summit, Missouri
Lee’s Summit Housing Authority is seeking an Executive Director to lead all aspects of the organization including administration of current programs, development of new housing options, and financial management. Established in 1967 and governed by a five-member Board of Commissioners, Lee’s Summit Housing Authority (LSHA) has 116 Public Housing units, a 649 base-line Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) program and an administrative budget of $924,000.
An executive staff of five (including the Executive Director) and a maintenance staff of two administer a program rated by HUD as a “High Performing” housing authority. The board is stable and leads with knowledge of both housing and the city of Lee’s Summit. The board oversaw the creation of a Five Year Strategic Plan beginning in July 2017. The overall top priority for the Executive Director is implementation and expansion of the plan, including reducing the affordable housing waiting list by developing 100 units of mixed-income housing in the planning period. In Lee’s Summit, the population growth rate predictions leading to 2027 indicate the need for about 2,700 new housing units of which a minimum of 400 will be needed for low-income occupancy. This challenge and opportunity requires significant effort toward partnerships in local government, private real estate, HUD, and citizen stakeholders. Lee’s Summit Housing Authority intends to be a leader in the room for all housing planning discussions, while continuing excellent management of its current programs and properties.
The Executive Director of Lee’s Summit Housing Authority is charged with leading a growth-oriented organization in a rapidly growing suburban community. As the chief executive officer and the face of the organization the Executive Director will lead the organization in producing more housing in Lee’s Summit in keeping with the mission to: “advocate for affordable housing and respond to unmet housing needs through new construction, restoration of existing assets, and the pursuit of new development opportunities and partnerships.” The ideal candidate possesses:
- Demonstrated experience and success with private – public partnerships and financing to create new housing in a suburban community similar to Lee’s Summit.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including elected officials, civic leaders, private developers and partnering agencies and the ability to communicate the organization’s strategic future to stakeholders to work toward the expansion of affordable housing in Lee’s Summit.
- A commitment to the goals, philosophy and mission of public housing authorities.
- Management of all Housing Authority activities as outlined by the Board of Commissioners, State and Federal Legislations, Statutes and the Regulations of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Leads the Housing Authority in the initiation, planning, and implementation of new affordable housing solutions and other mission-based objectives of the Strategic Plan. Makes recommendations to the Board of Commissioners of long-range plans which will assist in maintaining an effective and growing organization.
- The Chief Administrator of the Housing Authority with responsibility for planning, administering, directing, supervising and coordinating all phases of the Authority’s daily operations including, but not limited to, accounting, tenancy, public and social relations, maintenance and modernization.
- Directs the development and administration of all budgets. Establishes and enforces procedures to ensure adequate fiscal controls, efficient and economical operation in compliance with all HUD, State and Federal Regulations.
- Reports directly to the Board of Commissioners. Executes the decisions and policies of the Board of Commissioners.
- Keeps Board of Commissioners informed in matters required for compliance with the Annual Contributions Contract(s), HUD regulations, Fair Housing, Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 99 Municipal Housing, and local policies affecting the operation of the Authority.
- Prepares, directs and supervises preparation of reports and statistics, and maintains a continuing analysis of Housing Authority needs. Ensures appropriate program monitoring and evaluation.
- Provides leadership in establishing the overall objectives and policies of the Lee’s Summit Housing Authority.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and maintains supervision of administration and maintenance of 116 housing units, Modernization Programs, HUD reporting systems.
- Overall supervision of regular employees. Administers sound safety practices. Makes final decision on hiring, promotion, compensation, retirement and release of all employees.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and maintains supervision and program integrity of 649 base-line Housing Choice Voucher Section Eight Program.
- Develops and submits applications to Federal, State and local agencies for new and or continuing funding. Implements new programs and changes in existing programs as required by law and regulations.
- Ensures appropriate monitoring and evaluation of programs. Internal control includes the above duties, as well as preparation of budgets, supervision of purchasing for ordinary and extraordinary maintenance, and Modernization Programs; major decisions of admission and tenancy, investment of excess funds, General Ledger accounting, Budget Preparation and Fiscal reporting.
- Maintains liaison with officials of HUD, FHEO, Federal, State and local municipality officials, business leaders and developers, community agencies and contiguous housing authorities to promote understanding and cooperation.
- Promotes the goodwill and reputation of the Housing Authority among its tenants, governmental authorities and general public.
- Attends HUD, MONAHRO, NAHRO, PHADA and other professional development meetings and workshops for the improvement of Authority.
Candidates for this position will possess most if not all of the following qualifications and experience:
- Management: At least five years of responsible administrative experience, preferably in affordable housing, local government or related fields. Knowledge of and the ability to provide leadership and direction to staff in business practices, general ledger accounting, budget preparation and fiscal reporting, property management, and personnel administration.
- Housing: Thorough knowledge of PHA's policies and procedures and thorough knowledge of HUD regulations and reporting guidelines. Knowledge of affordable housing development and financing. Knowledge of construction, renovation, contracting and procurement.
- Education: Preferred qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or related fields.
- Licensure / Certification: Public Housing Manager Certificate from a HUD approved organization (or acquire certification within the first year of employment.) Valid Driver’s License.
- Active Strategy Skills: The vision, expertise and optimism to perceive opportunities for growth and apply an entrepreneurial approach to expanding the reach of the LSHA. Understanding of and experience with private – public partnerships and financing to create new housing. Ability to engage with wide variety of community groups especially the business sector. Demonstrates interpersonal savvy and influence skills in dealings with the community, financial / business community, and government entities. Ability to communicate the organization’s strategic future and inspire staff, board, public officials, private developers and the general public to work toward the expansion of affordable housing in Lee’s Summit.
- Management: Passion for providing affordable, inclusive housing to all citizens. Ability to gain high level of community knowledge and connectivity; proven ability to establish relationships with civic leaders and federal, state and local officials. Willingness to actively engage with employees, listen well, and help remove barriers to employee success on the job.
- Interpersonal & Communication Skills: Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written, and listening; experience representing an organization to the public. Strong interpersonal skills with sensitivity to diversity and multi-cultural issues. The right mix of charisma, consensus-building and calm – to de-escalate divisions and bring people together towards a common goal.
Lee’s Summit Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, creed, gender identity, age, disability, or status in any other group protected by law.
The Executive Director is a full time, salaried, professional position located in Lee’s Summit, Missouri. Employees enjoy a benefit package including health insurance, paid time off, and retirement plan contributions.To apply, submit resume and cover letter to Bruce Scott, The Moran Company. APPLY NOW
About Lee’s Summit, Missouri