Rail Car Mechanical Prep Manager (NKC)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
compensation: 45k yearly
employment type: full-time
The Mechanical Prep Manager oversees the daily prep operations required for automotive loading and unloading on rail cars. This position ensures quality and safety standards are being upheld and verified by audits performed by management staff.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Prep Crew- Assign daily work/special instructions and conduct shift briefings. Monitor production and quality to ensure all work is completed in a safe and timely manner.
• Blue Flag Protection- Ensure tracks are properly protected according to NS rules. Ensure all tracks are properly released according to NS rules when rail crew has completed their work.
• Quality- Ensure all work performed to AAR/TLC standards
• Daily Audits- An audit will be performed on mechanically prepped rail cars every day and turned in to the Terminal Manager. All audits will be in accordance with AAR/TLC standards
• Payroll - Ensure time sheets and payroll sheets are filled out and properly sent before COB
• Attendance- Ensure time sheets and payroll sheets are filled out when employees call off/arrive late/leave early with the proper comments needed
• End of Shift Reports- Ensure all reports are completed correctly and sent out
• Shift Turnover- Ensure proper scheduling for the next shift is setup. Send email out notifying on work plans
• Inventory and sign outs- Will be completed on all prep parts due by COB every Friday. This will include all mechanical prep parts and AAR tool/supplies.
• Proper reporting of any issue in the yard
• Any other tasks provided by the Regional or Terminal Managers
• Excellent organizational & communication skills
• Ability to work under minimal supervision
• Ability to multi-task, delegate responsibilities
• Ability to plan/organize and problem solve
• 1 year supervising both associates and subordinate staff
• Rail road knowledge or experience is helpful but not mandatory.
• Must follow AAR guidelines and company/customer guidelines.
• Able to work in all-weather climates.
• Experience counseling and issuing discipline if necessary
• Ability to mentor/coach associates and staff
• Ability to work varied shifts, starting at 4:00 AM
• Flexibility to work nights, weekends & Holidays
• Must possess a valid states driver's license
• Ability to pass a drug test and pass a criminal back ground check
• Ability to climb ladders
• Ability to walk/stand for extended periods of times
• Advanced computer skills (including Microsoft Office programs)
• Ability to pass E-rail Safe background check
• Must have better than high school education or equal work experience
• Must have worked continuously for the last 6 months
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The Mechanical Prep Manager is primarily an outside job. Though some time would be in office, most work completed will be in all weather conditions on rail cars and in bay. Walking, standing, climbing, lifting, squatting, twisting, kneeling and bending are all physical requirements of this position.