Ogletree Deakins Law Firm
4520 Main Street, Suite 400
Kansas City, MO 64111
Our Kansas City office has an opportunity for an experienced Paralegal to join the firm’s expanding practice.
We are fully committed to the importance of diversity within the legal profession, as well as all workplace environments and strongly encourage the interest of diverse candidates in the firm
Summary of Position
The Paralegal is primarily responsible for document collection, management, review and production, and assisting attorneys with tasks during all phases of litigation, including discovery, motions, hearings, trial, and appeal.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
• Extensive document management, including gathering, indexing, analyzing and producing documents and data in various electronic formats.
• Work with clients and vendors to facilitate collection and transfer of electronic case documents and data.
• Assist attorneys with drafting Rule 26 disclosures, discovery requests and responses.
• Conduct and summarize background checks.
• Request and gather federal and state agency files.
• Request and summarize third party records (employment and medical).
• Review and analyze case documents for production (including privilege review and preparation of privilege logs).
• Review and code electronic e-mails and case documents in Relativity review platform.
• Assist with contacting witnesses and conducting witness interviews.
• Prepare timelines, witness lists, and exhibit lists.
• Prepare protective orders.
• Draft and issue subpoenas for records depositions, witness depositions, and attendance at trial.
• Assist attorneys with documents and data needed for deposition preparation, briefs, mediation, and court hearings.
• Assist with analysis of financial data and prepare damages calculations.
• Prepare general correspondence and reports.
• Trial preparation and support, including preparation of pretrial filings, coordinating witnesses and preparing exhibits, presenting the case with video clips and exhibits through TrialDirector in the courtroom, and preparing demonstrative exhibits.
• Enters billing data into Firm system in a timely manner.
• Paralegal certificate / degree from accredited college or university.
• Three or more years of Paralegal or combination of Paralegal and Legal Secretary experience.
• Proficient in all Microsoft applications, including but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Advanced proficiency in Excel preferred.
• Labor/Employment law experience preferred.
• Litigation experience in federal and state court.
• Trial experience.
• Experience with Trial Director software.
• Experience with ESI collection and document review (preferably in Relativity).
• Experience with Document Management Systems.
• Experience with time-keeping and billing systems.
Ogletree Deakins offers a robust suite of benefits for our Staff including: Paid Time Off, Sick Time, a 401K matching program, Profit Sharing, 9 Paid Holidays, affordable Health and Life Insurance including Dental & Vision coverage, Health Savings Account (HSA)/Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) to help offset the cost of dependent care and/or health care expenses, Teladoc (24/7 access to a doctor by phone or online video), Tuition Reimbursement and an EAP Program.
We are not working with outside recruiters for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Employer Contact Information
Ogletree Deakins Law Firm
111 Monument Circle
Ogletree Deakins is one of the largest labor and employment law firms representing management in all types of employment-related legal matters. The firm has 800 lawyers located in 52 offices across the United States, in Europe, Canada and in Mexico. Ogletree Deakins has been named a Law Firm of the Year four consecutive years by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms.” In 2017, the publication named Ogletree Deakins its “Law Firm of the Year” in the Labor Law - Management category. In addition to handling labor and employment law matters, the firm has thriving practices focused on business immigration, employee benefits, and workplace safety and health law. Ogletree Deakins represents a diverse range of clients, from small businesses to Fortune 50 companies.