Marketing and Communications Director
Youth Volunteer Corps
1025 Jefferson St
Kansas City, MO 64105
Are you a story teller? Are you a live-tweeting, deadline-driven, lover of all things service? Would you like experience leading communications and marketing efforts for an established, international nonprofit headquarters?
Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) is based in Kansas City, with youth service programs around the U.S. and Canada. We create volunteer opportunities to address community needs and to inspire youth for a lifetime commitment to service. Over 300,000 youth have served with YVC since 1987. YVC is a pioneer in the youth service community with a proven program model. It’s time that the Kansas City community and beyond is aware of this incredible impact, and the ideal candidate will meet the challenge to tell that inspiring story.
We need a Marketing & Communications Director to develop and implement all aspects of marketing, communications and public relations, including digital and print channels. The Marketing & Communications Director is responsible for telling the YVC story to support programming and fundraising goals. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and will work alongside a small, passionate team to move the YVC mission forward.
Location and Culture: YVC’s national headquarters is located in a beautifully restored home built in 1874 in the Quality Hill District of downtown Kansas City. Inside this house, you’ll find energy, enthusiasm, a supportive team, and loyalty to the idea that youth-service can change the world. YVC is Kansas City’s best kept secret and the Marketing & Communications Director will lead the effort to generate a powerful buzz about what we do and why it’s so important.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinate external communications
• Lead the communications effort to YVC stakeholders (funders, youth volunteers, program staff, and nonprofit partners) including print and digital newsletters and regular blogging.
• Lift up the YVC brand on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Build an audience through local and national media outlets.
• Support fundraising efforts through dynamic stories, effective messaging, and beautiful images.
• Share the impact by writing, designing and producing YVC’s annual report.
• Design communications graphics, t-shirts, flyers, digital and print promotional materials, infographics, etc.
Coordinate strategy for communicating with and supporting our affiliates
• Build relationships with colleagues at over 30 YVC programs across the U.S. and Canada and collaborate with them to market YVC on a local level.
• Through marketing and communication to YVC programs, make the YVC Summit-- the biggest YVC gathering of the year--a fun and educational experience.
Manage the YVC brand and serve as chief storyteller
• Be a diligent listener; collect and share YVC stories that lift up the YVC brand.
• Type, tweet, and talk about YVC every day.
• Influence a culture of learning and teaching about community-based service-learning to position YVC as a thought-leader in youth development.
• Design and produce YVC marketing materials including t-shirts, water bottles, and other gear to sell and give away.
Serve as website administrator
• Update, design, and troubleshoot YVC’s WordPress website.
• Create a top-of-mind awareness of YVC through search engine optimization and a meaningful digital presence.
• Bachelors degree required
• 3-5 years experience in marketing and/or communications and layout/design preferred but not required
YVC needs someone who has:
• Excellent writing skills and comfort with a casual, conversational writing style
• An independent and ambitious spirit, self-driven
• A happy heart with a resiliency to change and uncertainty and a willingness to help others
• A sense of urgency that keeps them organized, prioritized, and on time
• The ability to think creatively and strategically to solve problems
• Curiosity and courage to be persistent in pitching stories to local/national media
Compensation: Salary and job title will be commensurate with experience and perceived job fit.
Benefits: This position is given three weeks Paid Time Off for the first three years, then 4-6 weeks depending on tenure, plus 14 paid holidays per year. The position also offers $350 per month toward self-directed benefits of your choosing.
Interested? Please submit letter of interest that highlights how you have demonstrated key qualifications and position duties in the past, resume, and 2 years’ salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Marketing Director” for the subject line.
Employer Contact Information
Youth Volunteer Corps
1025 Jefferson St